ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: Bootstrap error on FreeBSD
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 03:23:34 GMT
> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
>
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Magesh Umasankar <umagesh@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Exception javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError can't be
> > thrown in initializer.
>
> javac 1.1.8 doesn't seem to understand that FactoryConfigurationError
> is an Error and not an Exception.

It does understand this but I think it doesn't like the error being thrown
when initialising a static field.

> I cannot see any backwards compatible way to work around this.  We'd
> have to remove access to dbfactory which affects potential subclasses.

I have a fix. It makes the protected variable non final but just a shadow of
a private variable. This makes the factory accessible to subclasses but they
cannot change the instance used by this class.

> We could assume that there are no subclasses of AggregateTransformer
> and hide dbfactory behind a protected method or exclude
> AggregateTransformer from compilation in 1.1.

Let me know what you think?

Conor