ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: RPMs (Was: Ant 1.5alpha refresh notice)
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 01:16:44 GMT
> From: GOMEZ Henri [mailto:hgomez@slib.fr]
>
> >> What do you means by incorrect directory layout ?
> >
> >Ant scattered in three different dirs (I like the power of setting
> >ANT_HOME).
>
> ant live in 3 differents dirs to respect rpm and fhs policies :

Are these policies documented anywhere? Just curious.

> exec should go to /usr/bin
> java jars goes in /usr/share/java or /usr/share/java/toolxxx/
> rpm doc should go in /usr/doc/toolxxxx/ (old RH/MDK) or
> /usr/share/doc/toolxxx (recent MDK/RH)
>
> I agree but the ant script in jpackage is more sophisticated
> and allow users to ant without jikes.

I don't know which script is better, but in the end it is a question of how
we can support RPM users when they have problems with the script. Having a
different script and different layout makes support harder. It also means
you need to track changes, such as the introduction of ANT_ARGS variable.

There are other problems, IMHO.
The setting of ANT_HOME=/usr does not make sense. The lack of a real
ANT_HOME causes a problem because some Ant tasks rely on auxillary scripts
in ANT_HOME/bin (antRun) which are not included in the RPM and will break
Ant in certain circumstances.

Also a common way of making things available to Ant at runtime is to put
them into ANT_HOME/lib. While this has well known shortcomings, it is also
common advice, which will not work for an RPM user.

When RPM building goes beyond simply packaging, there are certain dangers

Conor