ant-dev mailing list archives

From Alexey Solofnenko <alex...@mdli.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant WHATSNEW
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2002 00:57:51 GMT

Pleasant Hill, CA (GMT-8 usually)

-----Original Message-----
From: Conor MacNeill [mailto:conor@cortexebusiness.com.au]
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 5:46 PM
To: Ant Developers List
Subject: RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant WHATSNEW

> From: Alexey Solofnenko [mailto:alexeys@mdli.com]
>
> Hello,
>
>   the task <do> is what I need in my build files

Why? Could you explain how you would use it and why normal target dependency
and <antcall> operation cannot achieve what you want? I still am unclear
about the usecase.

> and it is not clear how
> <do> bypasses dependency checking more than <antcall>? They do
> not check for
> already executed dependencies at all.

<antcall> effectively runs a separate instance (context) of ant to process
the antcall request. Within this new context it performs dependency
checking. The fact that the same target can be run in both the main run and
the antcall run is entirely appropriate because they are being processed
within separate contexts. Cross-context dependency checking (which is what
<do> attempts to provide) is not something that should be done, IMHO.

Conor