ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Chauvin <SChau...@cardiff.com>
Subject RE: [SUBMIT] SerialVer and ReplaceSUID Tasks
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2002 19:49:08 GMT
Thanks Steve for your quick answer.
I appreciate a lot your comments.

I will look at this next week. I am busy now...

To do a first answer about your questions:
>1. why do you exec serialver instead of using the java task? This can fork
>too, if that is needed, but it is better at classpath setup and the like.
Because I looked at the <javac> and <javadoc> tasks that call an executable
provided by the JDK, and I did the same... I will investigate your
proposition.

>2. Having code that edits java src insitu scares me. I would be happier
with
>something which generated a new copy of the file in a destination
>directory...we could then add version checking so that the work is only
done
>if the src file is newer than the one in the dest dir.
Yes, it could be a good security. But in a normal case, all next compilation
should include the serialVersionUID declaration. So the deserialization
doesn't break, even if the source code API has changed (new methods,
improvements, ...).

>How are you using the tasks in your build files.
Yes, but not yet with this open version, and not for an important part of
the project.

Thanks,
Stephane