ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jon Skeet" <jon.sk...@peramon.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/filters BaseFilterReader.java
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:00:10 GMT
> > I thought that would probably be the case. What about
> > being broken on Macs (which use '\r') though?
>
> Hmm... Guess we need to revisit it then sometime.  I
> don't think we will be able to before te beta at least.

No problem - I'm sure I'll find more urgent problems :)

> > I personally don't like the encapsulation of this:
> > they're acting as factories, really - there's no reason
> > why the factory class should be the same one as the
> > reader, and by forcing them to be the same we end up
> > with this dummy constructor.
>
> Well, the 'factory' uses the very same setters
> and adders that the actual class is using - so
> why would you need two very similar classes?
> Moreover, the factory in this case would produce just
> one class - not more than one - as a factory object
> would typically be used...  But anyway, if you feel
> refactoring is needed here, +1.

Valid points, but the way it currently works still has a "smell" to it, in Martin Fowler's
terms. I'll give it some consideration. Maybe Ant2 will have fixed all this up in a way that
means we don't even need to worry about it :)

> > Agreed. It should be documented though - I'll try to work
> > something out, unless you want to?
>
> Sorry, Jon.  I am a bit tied up currently.  But, doc changes
> may be made after the beta too - so if you don't beat me to it,
> I will try to document it better in the next couple of weeks.

No problem - I'll fix up the JavaDoc tomorrow to give at least a brief summary of why it's
there, and if it needs documenting beyond JavaDoc we can do that post-beta.

Jon