ant-dev mailing list archives

From "GOMEZ Henri" <hgo...@slib.fr>
Subject RE: RPMs (Was: Ant 1.5alpha refresh notice)
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:07:41 GMT
>which doesn't mean that I'd agree with the decision 8-)

That's why we discuss it here ;)

>> I agree but the ant script in jpackage is more sophisticated
>> and allow users to ant without jikes.
>
>In the script inside the 1.4.1 RPM: if jikes is there, you set
>build.compiler to jikes unconditionally.  I've seen your new USE_JIKES
>environment variable, but I don't think this is a good solution
>either.

We could add a --nojikes or --withjikes flag instead ;)

>You've also removed Cygwin, Mac OS X and AIX support which may come
>back to you as soon as people on these platforms use OpenPKG (or
>whatever it is called).

Yes, our script was a very Linux related since we didn't have reports
from OpenPKG users. The script goal is to provide something usefull
for the current rpm base which is linux, so we dropped the unecessary
test, but they could be reinserted..

>With the scripts you provide, Ant's default behavior is different
>depending on whether you've chosen to install the RPM or install from
>the binary distribution.  It shouldn't be that way.

Could you explain me the differences in behavior so we could fix it.

>Please let us merge your changes into Ant's very own wrapper script so
>that you no longer need to maintain a separate script and we no longer
>push back bug reports because we don't know your scripts.

Good, I'm +1

>And another point: the website, especially the FAQ should be included
>in the ant-manual RPM IMHO.

They are in ant-manual sub-rpm which goes in /usr/doc/ant-manual-1.4.1/