ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick (Gus) Heck" <patrick.h...@olin.edu>
Subject possible symlink task
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:54:37 GMT
OK that WAS embarassing. My home mail client doesn't
seem to agree with my work mail client on the
subject of line wraps. (the perils of repasting a
bounced message)

My deepest apologies, I certainly don't expect you
to read the previous version!

So does the Ant community want to have the ability to
manage symlinks?

I am currently writing a symlink task to use with ant for
my own purposes. Besides doing the trivial case of making
a symlink given a filename and a link name it would also
store and retreive symlink information in a file written by
java.util.Properties.

This is useful to me because I am working with a web
site that offers code that is compiled and javadoced and
available as source. The code is all in CVS and the web
pages etc are all in CVS. Since Ant can do CVS checkouts
I figure why not have ant manage the whole process? Then
my entire site can be regenerated from the repository by
checking out the build.xml and running ant.

The problem comes in when I need to deal with directories
that have symlinks. At the moment the only way I found to
make symlinks in ant is by executing a command on the
operating system, which means all the symlinks
would have to be recoreded and managed within the
build.xml.

Since this would be messy I am writing a task to clean it up.

Of course this may be feature creep and is not strictly
build management, but maybe there are build related
reasons for playing with symlinks?

So my questions are these:

1. Am I being bone headed and missing obvious funtionality
   already found in Ant? I tried to find it and failed, but
   that doesn't mean it isn't there. (if so plese tell me to
   RTFM) (page links if you are feeling generous)

2. If the first answer is no, Is the Ant community interested
   in having a symlink task similar to what I have described.

3. If the above answers are no, and yes respectively then how
   do I go about submitting this once I have the code working,
   documented and formatted?

Gus

P.S. I am only planning support for linux and any other systems
     that use a ln -s <fname> <linkname> command since the
     basis of the whole thing is still an Execute.runCommand()
     call. If other systems are to be supported, someone who
     is developing on those systems probably would need to add
     the support, as I am only set up to develop on linux at
     this point.