ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RPMs (Was: Ant 1.5alpha refresh notice)
Date Sun, 21 Apr 2002 14:03:41 GMT
Magesh Umasankar wrote:

> It would be awesome if somebody could test to
> see if the rpms work as expected and let me know.

We should decide before this release goes out whether we wish to publish an Ant
specific RPM or to continue to have RPMs built by Henri Gomez.

When I got the RPM building to work, my goal was to allow us to build a complete
distribution including the RPMs. It meant that the RPM build would be in sync
with the other distributions. Previously the RPMs were built quite differently,
using Jikes, not building the full optional jar, etc.

The RPMs that are currently built as part of the Ant build consider Ant in
isolation. They just put Ant somewhere sensible and what you get is pretty much
what you would get if you were to unzip a zip distribution. Henri's RPMs, OTOH,
are built as part of the larger java RPM project. There are richer dependencies
(JAXP is a dependency, IIRC), a separate Ant launch script, no parser jars
included, documentation is somewhere else, etc.

Thoughts?

Conor