ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/testcases/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs ExecuteJavaTest.java TimeProcess.java ExecuteWatchdogTest.java
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 13:44:42 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On 5 Apr 2002, <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>  timeout support for <java>
>>

> This has a couple of side effects that I want your opinion on before I
> close the bug.
>
> timeout for forked java has been trivial, but I had to change
> ExecuteJava considerably to add it for the in-VM mode.
>
> The main change is that Ant will now run the class in a separate
> thread, if a timeout value has been specified.  I'm not sure whether
> our log system can deal with it (it may receive output from a thread
> that is not associated with a task).

It will treat this as non-task output and log as if generated by the project
object. It would be possible to add a method to project to inform it about which
task is associated with a new thread. This is currently done in the taskStarted
method.

> If timeout has been triggered, all ExecuteJava does right now is to
> interrupt() the spawned thread - which means it will not do too much
> for run-away threads.  stop() or even destroy() look more than a
> little dangerous in this context.
>
> But then again, run-away threads without this timeout feature would
> make Ant hang anyway.Timeout: killed the sub-process

Yes, at least Ant will end and and clean it up then. Perhaps the message

Timeout: killed the sub-process

should be a little bit less definitive, perhaps

Timeout: sub-process interrupted.

Conor