ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Wannheden, Knut" <K...@paranor.ch>
Subject RE: [myrmidon] -ref vs ${}
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2002 12:40:09 GMT
Just a question:

would the following

attr-ref="${other-attr}"

have fetched the the value of the property with name "${other-attr}" or the
value a property named like the value of property "other-attr", i.e. nested
properties?

I was wondering because as I understand it the following would certainly not
have resolved the nested properties:

attr="${${other-attr}}"

While on the topic of referencing properties: will the referenced properties
(as "other-attr" in "${other-attr}") have to be defined in advance and the
respective value copied or will it be reevaluated on demand (every time
again)?  Example:

<target name="print-ant">
 <property name="msg" value="Message: ${foo}"/>
 <property name="foo" value="ant"/>
 <echo message="${msg}"/>
</target>

would result in "Message: ant" instead of "Message: ${foo}".  A datatype
subclassing property (xproperty), where the value wasn't imutable, would
then result in different values of other properties referencing the
xproperty every time the referenced xproperty is changed.  Example:

<target name="print-true-or-false">
 <property name="msg" value="Message: ${foo}"/>
 <xproperty name="foo" value="true"/>
 <echo message="${msg}"/>
 <xproperty name="foo" value="false"/>
 <echo message="${msg}"/>
</target>

would give "Message: true" followed by "Message: false".

I'm not saying that this necessarily is the desired behaviour, I'm just
curious on how the resolution of referenced properties will work in the
future.

--
knut