ant-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Rousse <rou...@ccr.jussieu.fr>
Subject Fwd: Re: [JPackage-devel] RE: RPMs
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 18:03:18 GMT
Sorry, i fired previous reply accidentally before completion.
I'll subscribe to ant-dev right now.

----------  Message transmis  ----------

Subject: Re: [JPackage-devel] RE: RPMs
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:00:20 +0200
From: Guillaume Rousse <rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr>
To: jpackage-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

Le Jeudi 25 Avril 2002 10:49, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Guillaume Rousse <rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> > Sofar, i'm not aware of any trouble caused by someone using jpackage
> > rpms.
>
> This is not my point.
>
> If you ship scripts that are different from ours, we cannot support
> people that have problems with yours (no matter whether this has
> happened in the past or not).

Sure, and you don't have to neither :-)

>Furthermore your current scripts are
> lacking features like the JAVACMD, ANT_OPTS and ANT_ARGS environment
> variables that we talk about in the user manual.

No, but they use the very same behaviour as all other wrapper scripts for our
packages, due to the use of a common function library. Selecting a JVM,
adding java flags and application options are possible via a pref file in
every case, using same option names in each case (which can not be
ANT_something, obviously).
However, this function library lacks documentation currently, and original
documentation should either be modified, or at least some warning should be
set somewhere.

> Many users will not be aware of the fact that your scripts are not the
> same scripts that the manual is talking about.
>
> > and future adaptations (splitted optional tasks to make dependencies
> > less drastic, automatic loading of dependend classes)
>
> I'd urge you to do this together with ant-dev.  We've been talking
> about splitting optional.jar into several pieces ourselves.  If you
> and we split it into different pieces or only use different names for
> these pieces, we'd be totally confusing out users.

Actually, we would like to split optional task such as:
- each of these jar should depends on the fewest external libs possible
- each of these jar should have constant content

--
Guillaume Rousse <rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr>
GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html