ant-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant-myrmidon/framework/src/java/org/apache/myrmidon/framework/filters LineFilter.java TokenSet.java
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 04:46:22 GMT
On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:48, Peter Donald wrote:

> Currently there can not be multiple roles with same classname but different
> classdata

Yes, I know.  Doing away with that restriction is the whole point.

> and I can't honestly see where it would be viable.

We are awful close to being able to drop in two different versions of an
antlib, and have it work.  Not necessarily in the same project, but certainly
across projectrefs or <ant> calls.  The main issue is naming - obviously this
isn't going to work if we have a global role namespace.

> Java is not designed to work that way

No?  Bugger.  That's going to make things harder, I guess :)

> and until we go
> there I don't see any need to burden the rest of the system with
> complexitites until we know we are going to use it.

Ok. I'm not planning on ignoring complexity.  What I'd like to do is to *try*
to solve the issues we have with roles (can't have more than one with the
same name, can't have a typeless role, that kinda thing), without impacting
complexity too much.  If it turns out to be horribly complex, then, we just
have to let it go.  I think it's worth exploring.

> Given that the classname is not meaningless - it accurately describes
> exactly what the role is ;)

Fair enough.  Not meaningless.  But not any more meaningful than the short
name, either.

> I would be opposed to untyped roles but you knew I would say that :)

Yeah, I knew.  Would you be opposed to making them available to task writers
to use, without us using them in myrmidon, and provided they fell out of
whatever role solution we come up with?

> The longer ones map to physical representations. It is easy to verify if a
> component actually implements service by checking the interfaces
> implemented by component and see if one of them has same name as role
> (minus any decoration if necessary).

Checking the name doesn't guarantee much at all when the component, the role,
and the thing doing the checking are all in different classloaders.  That's
why we added the role's Class object to the role registry - to make the check
foolproof.

> If you are a user you need not know about physical name or suffer through
> ClassLoader hell. If you are a develoepr you need not know the logical
> name.

You do if you are writing something that sits between the user and the
internals.  Like, say, a task.  Or if you happen to be working on the
infrastructure: What's this name here?  Is is a short name, a long name, a
class name?  Ug.

Like I said before, if we were to change a role's (programmatic) identifier
from the role's class name, to the role's Class object, then it really
doesn't matter what the role names are.

--
Adam