ant-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant-myrmidon/container/src/java/org/apache/myrmidon/interfaces/executor ExecutionFrame.java
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 02:30:53 GMT
On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:56, Peter Donald wrote:

> > We probably need to make sure that each service is obtaining references
> > to other services via the Servicable interface, and create *all* child
> > services before calling Servicable.service(). (Currently the
> > DefaultDeployer calls "service" when creating a child, but there's no
> > guarantee that all of the other scoped services would be available at
> > that time.)
>
> yep. But now we start to get into territory that is a bit icky. We will end
> up creating a fully fledged services kernel if we are not careful. The
> above strategy was one the Cocoon project used to use until they realized
> that some services/components were accessing other components before those
> other components were fully initialized. (The same thing happened in
> Avalon/Phoenix kernel). I believe they ended up creating a directed graph
> for dependencies between services and so forth which seems like a little
> overkill for Ant - what do you think?

Definitely overkill.  I think we can get pretty close to what we need by doing
what DefaultEmbeddor does: create all the services, add them to the service
manager, and only then start moving them through the lifecycle stages.
Perhaps if we were to also move all the services through a lifecycle stage,
before moving to the next stage, might be useful.

It always struck me as kinda odd that avalon doesn't have a container that
does the dependency tracking thing.

--
Adam