ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant-myrmidon/container/src/java/org/apache/myrmidon/interfaces/executor ExecutionFrame.java
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 01:56:37 GMT
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:49, Darrell DeBoer wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:46, Adam Murdoch wrote:
> > What I'd like to do is to generalise service scoping with a new lifecycle
> > interface, something like:
> >
> > interface ScopedService
> > {
> >     Object createChild() throws SomeException;
> > }
>
> +1
> I was thinking of adding something like this a couple of days ago, but
> there are already enough fingers in that code...
>
> We probably need to make sure that each service is obtaining references to
> other services via the Servicable interface, and create *all* child
> services before calling Servicable.service(). (Currently the
> DefaultDeployer calls "service" when creating a child, but there's no
> guarantee that all of the other scoped services would be available at that
> time.)

yep. But now we start to get into territory that is a bit icky. We will end up
creating a fully fledged services kernel if we are not careful. The above
strategy was one the Cocoon project used to use until they realized that some
services/components were accessing other components before those other
components were fully initialized. (The same thing happened in Avalon/Phoenix
kernel). I believe they ended up creating a directed graph for dependencies
between services and so forth which seems like a little overkill for Ant -
what do you think?

Maybe we can reuse the stuff Cocoon is using (not sure if it works for us) if
we have to go down this path. Personally I would prefer to keep the core of
ant as simple as possible but I guess if we need the functionality then we
need it ;/

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald