ant-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] [myrmidon] Property evaluation
Date Sun, 21 Apr 2002 07:53:08 GMT
On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 14:13, Peter Donald wrote:

> We could create our own expression language or clone it from an existing
> project (maybe velocity). However I believe there is an XPath library at
> Apache that is meant to be damn fine (Jaxen in commons IIRC) that we could
> use (Not sure I personally haven't looked at it but it is meant to be all
> good).

This would be quite cool.  Personally, I'd prefer an
objects-with-properties-and-methods model like velocity, to a
tree-of-nodes-with-a-value model like xpath.  Mainly 'cause it maps to java
more naturally (and, well, the property values are java objects, after all),
and extends more cleanly.

But, it doesn't really matter, I suppose, since it's so easy to swap property
resolvers now.  We can have a whole bunch of expression languages.  And once
we get services happening at task scope, you could use a different expression
language for each task (don't reckon that would make it into the elements of
ant style, though :)

--
Adam