ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ara Abrahamian <ara_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [myrmidon] Project/Target as Tasks
Date Sun, 21 Apr 2002 04:26:20 GMT
I like that idea! And I think we even need to go further.

For example in xdoclet we have a task and a set of subtasks, the same
is true for ejbjar. subtask is really a task but is run inside an
unmrella task. Now if we could generalize it and let Ant do the job
(calling validate/run on subtasks, etc too) then that would be
beautiful.

And even more, generalize data types too. I mean fileset for example
does something, right? It can be modeled to have a run method and be
runnable to. Inside run() it does the directory scanning and setting up
the set in that method.

Also this way we can really make composition of different tasks
possible (say embed uptodate inside a copy, so that you enhance the
functionality of copy with uptodate checking).

I don't know much about Ant's internal architecture, what do you think
about the above proposal?

Cheers,
Ara.