ant-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [myrmidon] CVS move
Date Sat, 20 Apr 2002 08:08:48 GMT
On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 07:51, Peter Donald wrote:

> > What is a workspace, exactly?
>
> a set of projects that reference each other and in which a common thread of
> execution can travel through. ie So basically it is a graph of reachable
> nodes from root project.
>
> Currently it also contains the state of the execution in it aswell.

Should it not?

> <target name="foo" depends="A,B,C">
> </target>
>
> goes to
>
> <target name="foo">
>   <depends="A"/>
>   <depends="B"/>
>   <depends="C"/>
> </target>

This is an interesting idea.  Do we want to go with something like this? (I
reckon we should).  Would it work something like:

<depends name="A"/>

- Executes target A in the same execution frame as the calling target.
- Only executes target A if it has not already been executed in this execution
frame.
- Allows the "project->target" syntax for referencing targets in other
projects.
- Allows property resolution in the name attribute.
- Would fail if there is a cycle in the <depends/> calls.
- It would not allow properties to be specified.

> This supports all of the functionality that people have been asking for.
> But it means a "magic" task name (or a magic task).

No more magic than, say, <ant> or <antcall>.  Let's make it a task, as it
should fall out of whatever 'execute-a-target' service we come up with for
<ant> and <antcall>.  And that means it will be available as a nested task in

<if>, and so on.

That would also be pretty much the last of the declarative stuff gone too,
which wouldn't be a bad thing (now we can have scripty tasks :)

--
Adam