ant-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [myrmidon] moving to new module
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2002 00:00:23 GMT
On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 11:59, Peter Donald wrote:

> > * Keep the package names the same.  Though, I wonder if we shouldn't
> > rename 'components' -> 'services'?
>
> I like it.
>
> Then we come across the problem - what do we call the service providers. We
> could keep the name "components.*" or could go to something like
> "providers.*" or go to an ant specific terminology (for example the
> providers in phoenix are cllaed blocks and we put them in the blocks.*
> hierarchy).

Um, the service providers?  Which bit are you referring to there?

> > There's a few other things we've overlooked:
> >
> > * myrmidon.Constants.  Move to myrmidon.interfaces.Constants?  Or maybe
> > we want one each for task API, container API and container impl?  Or axe
> > altogether?
>
> Hmmm .. hadn't thought about it. Some tasks may use it I believe to
> generate constants to put in places like manifest files. Perhaps we could
> delte it entirely and place it in variables such as
>
> "myrmidon.version",
> "myrmidon.build.date",
> "myrmidon.build.descrption",
> "myrmidon.build.number",
> etc.
>
> Alternatively we could put it in manifests of jars and then access it via
> something like
>
> Package.getPackage("org.apache.myrmidon.api").getName()

How about both?  The info has to go in the manifest, anyway.  We can grab it
out of there and populate the root property store with it (and make it
immutable while we're there).

> > * myrmidon.aspects.  Move to interfaces.aspects?
> >
> > * myrmidon.listeners.  Split across task API and framework?
>
> technically both of them are part of the "API" part so we could keep them
> there. Well that is except for the concrete implementations that could be
> moved to somewhere like antlibs.core.*
>
> the APIs for these things should still be considered relatively fluid
> however because neither have had enough enough of a workout IMHO.

They definitely need work.  How about we axe the stuff in aspects altogether?

For listeners, how about we move the interfaces and AbstractProjectListener ->
o.a.myrmidon.api.listeners, and the remainder to antlibs.core.

> > Do we want to go with a directory layout a la excalibur, something like:
> >
> > aut
> >    /src
> >        /java
> >        /test
> > taskapi
> >    /src
> >        /java
> > container
> >    /src
> >        /java
> >        /test
> >        /manifest
> >
> > With a single top level build.xml for the time being.
>
> works for me. So it will end up being something like
>
> aut
> taskapi
> framework
> container
> antlib
>
> Maybe in future we could also have a containerapi ?

Yep.  There's also an ant1compat in there somewhere.

--
Adam