ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [myrmidon] moving to new module
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 01:59:20 GMT
On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:55, Adam Murdoch wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:11, Peter Donald wrote:
> > So when do you want to start moving this and all that?
>
> Soon.  I have a few bits and pieces I want to commit today sometime.
>
> Just to recap the plan:
>
> * Keep the package names the same.  Though, I wonder if we shouldn't rename
> 'components' -> 'services'?

I like it.

Then we come across the problem - what do we call the service providers. We
could keep the name "components.*" or could go to something like
"providers.*" or go to an ant specific terminology (for example the providers
in phoenix are cllaed blocks and we put them in the blocks.* hierarchy).

> There's a few other things we've overlooked:
>
> * myrmidon.Constants.  Move to myrmidon.interfaces.Constants?  Or maybe we
> want one each for task API, container API and container impl?  Or axe
> altogether?

Hmmm .. hadn't thought about it. Some tasks may use it I believe to generate
constants to put in places like manifest files. Perhaps we could delte it
entirely and place it in variables such as

"myrmidon.version",
"myrmidon.build.date",
"myrmidon.build.descrption",
"myrmidon.build.number",
etc.

Alternatively we could put it in manifests of jars and then access it via
something like

Package.getPackage("org.apache.myrmidon.api").getName()

> * myrmidon.aspects.  Move to interfaces.aspects?
>
> * myrmidon.listeners.  Split across task API and framework?

technically both of them are part of the "API" part so we could keep them
there. Well that is except for the concrete implementations that could be
moved to somewhere like antlibs.core.*

the APIs for these things should still be considered relatively fluid however
because neither have had enough enough of a workout IMHO.

> * <antlib-jar>, <antlib-descriptor>.  Ultimately, I'd like these to be in
> regular antlib (which would extend the ant1compat antlib) and included in
> the distro.  Maybe leave 'em off on their own for now.

okies.

> Do we want to go with a directory layout a la excalibur, something like:
>
> aut
>    /src
>        /java
>        /test
> taskapi
>    /src
>        /java
> container
>    /src
>        /java
>        /test
>        /manifest
>
> With a single top level build.xml for the time being.

works for me. So it will end up being something like

aut
taskapi
framework
container
antlib

Maybe in future we could also have a containerapi ?

--
Cheers,

Pete