ant-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [myrmidon] moving to new module
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2002 10:10:53 GMT
On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:54, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:49, Adam Murdoch wrote:
> > What's the plan for moving myrmidon to the new cvs module?
>
> I was going to do it as soon as possible after the excalibur CVS settles
> down in build structure and chooses a build system (be it XSLT, maven,
> forrest or whatever).

I wonder if it's time to start building myrmidon using myrmidon?  The project
descriptor + transforming project builder approach would be interesting to
try.  Definitely the way of the future.  The question is, which descriptor to
use?

Regardless, we don't really need to wait for excalibur to get sorted out.  For
the time being we can go with the uber-script we have now.  We just have to
schlurp over more directories.

> However if you want it to move faster then we can do
> it now. Up to you.

Let's get the structure sorted out, at the very least.  As I understand it,
the current plan is to split the tree up into something like:

- AUT, o.a.aut.*

- Task API, o.a.myrmidon.api.* and probably a few bits and pieces from
o.a.myrmidon.framework.*.

- Container API, o.a.myrmidon.interfaces.*

- Container impl, o.a.myrmidon.components.*

- Antlibs, o.a.antlib.*
- Framework, o.a.myrmidon.framework.*
- Ant1compat, o.a.tools.ant.*
- Todo, o.a.tools.todo.*

These last 4 are all kinda the same.  Probably want to rearrange 'em into 3
broad groups:
- general stuff that ends up in the shared classloader (most of what's in
framework and some of todo).
- reusable stuff that ends up in non-final antlibs (ant1 compat, bits from the
others).
- private stuff that ends up in final antlibs (the rest).

Not entirely sure how to tackle these.  We could move 'em all under
o.a.antlib.*, I suppose (except the ant1 compat stuff, of course).

The other question is package names.  Do we want to move the task API out of
o.a.myrmidon?  The container api and impl are probably fine where they are.

--
Adam