ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Ant.java
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 15:52:18 GMT
> On 1 Apr 2002, <holtdl@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >   If 'output' is a simple or relative filename, make it relative
> >   to ${basedir}, not ${user.dir}. (If it's a full-path, it'll go
> >   to the full-path file.)  (PR 4548)
>
> Your patch will not make that happen.

Hmm... I tested the snot out of it, so I'm surprised to hear that.

> What we have now:

When you say "now", do you mean after my change, or before?

> * user has specified a dir attribute -> output is resolved relative to
> dir, not to ${basedir}

Doesn't the specified dir become ${basedir}?

> * user has not specified a dir attribute -> NullPointerException
> (outfile is null in the first line of the try block).

I ran it (with my changes) without specifying a dir, and it worked fine.

> As I'm not sure what you want to do in the presence of a dir
> attribute, therefore I'm not patching the task right now.

The previous behaviour was that the output file would be created in the
current directory rather than in the directory of the build file being
called (if different from the current directory). I *thought* my change
fixed that (I tested it in every conceivable configuration, with a 'dir',
without a 'dir', with -logfile to see if that weirded things out, etc.),
but if I didn't do it right (always a possibility), please feel free to
correct it.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)