ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Ant 1.5 Release Plan
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 21:16:45 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Magesh Umasankar" <umagesh@apache.org>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 10:06 AM
Subject: [VOTE] Ant 1.5 Release Plan

> Hi,
> I feel that we have made quite some progress after releasing
> Ant 1.4.1 to warrant a new release.  We have added a bunch
> of new functionality and fixed a good number of existing
> problems as well.  Kudos to all those who participated.
>
> I would like to call for a vote on moving towards a release
> of Ant 1.5.
>
> Here is the tentative timeline that I propose:
>
> April 13: Complete gathering votes for move-towards-release
>           proposal.
>
> If proposal passes,
>
> Till April 30: Complete planned activities (based on to-do list)
>                on Ant 1.5Alpha
> May 1st Week : Release Ant 1.5Beta1
> Rest of May  : *Bug* fixes to Ant 1.5Alpha, if any.
> June 1st Week: Release Ant 1.5Beta2, followed by *bug* fixes, if any.
> June 4th Week: Vote on Ant 1.5 Release.
> July 1st Week: Release Ant 1.5

And 1.5.1 in, say August.

What you have proposed is nearly a 3 month beta cycle for ant. That is kind
of long. maybe it is a good length, maybe a bad one. Were we to get back to
6 month release cycles we would be in beta release mode more than 50% of the
time unless we compressed the release schedule again.

> Anyway, send in your votes for:
>
> 1. Proposal to move towards releasing Ant 1.5 (+1)

+1

> 2. Proposed timeline (+1)

+1

I dont have any objections to the timeline per se, but worry if it is
setting long term expectations about beta cycle durations.

One q: when are we feature frozen? April 30?

> 3. Magesh as Proposed Release Manager (+0) (+1, if no other
>    committer volunteers).

+1