ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Ant 1.5 Release Plan
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 21:25:18 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Loughran" <steve_l@iseran.com>

> > Here is the tentative timeline that I propose:
> >
> > April 13: Complete gathering votes for move-towards-release
> >           proposal.
> >
> > If proposal passes,
> >
> > Till April 30: Complete planned activities (based on to-do list)
> >                on Ant 1.5Alpha
> > May 1st Week : Release Ant 1.5Beta1
> > Rest of May  : *Bug* fixes to Ant 1.5Alpha, if any.

Oops... that should have read Ant1.5Beta1

> > June 1st Week: Release Ant 1.5Beta2, followed by *bug* fixes, if any.
> > June 4th Week: Vote on Ant 1.5 Release.
> > July 1st Week: Release Ant 1.5
>
> And 1.5.1 in, say August.

Optimistically, there will be no 1.5.1 ;-)

> What you have proposed is nearly a 3 month beta cycle for ant.

Just May and June.

> That is kind of long. maybe it is a good length, maybe a bad one. Were we
to get back to
> 6 month release cycles we would be in beta release mode more than 50% of
the
> time unless we compressed the release schedule again.

The timeline I proposed is partially also based
on the amount of time I will be able to devote
for making the release.  I will not be able to
commit myself to a shorter timeline for this
release.

> > Anyway, send in your votes for:
> >
> > 1. Proposal to move towards releasing Ant 1.5 (+1)
>
> +1
>
> > 2. Proposed timeline (+1)
>
> +1
>
> I dont have any objections to the timeline per se, but worry if it is
> setting long term expectations about beta cycle durations.

I understand your point of view, but don't you think
an extended beta is better than an extended alpha? ;-)

> One q: when are we feature frozen? April 30?

Yes, on the Ant_15_Beta1 branch.  However,
feature additions can be done to Ant_16_Alpha.
But they will not make it into the Ant 1.5 release.

There may be a few exceptions to this depending
upon the severity of any feature additions.  But
I would strongly discourage that.

> > 3. Magesh as Proposed Release Manager (+0) (+1, if no other
> >    committer volunteers).
>
> +1

Cheers,
Magesh