ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephane Bailliez" <sbaill...@apache.org>
Subject XML parser for Ant 1.5 was Re: [VOTE] Ant 1.5 Release Plan
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 21:41:28 GMT
mm.. side note as Jason reminded me this.

For Ant 1.5, I would be in favor of changing the parser from Crimson to
Xerces 2.0.1

- I think distrib size was one of the main concern to keep crimson (as far
as I can remember, veterans correct me if I'm wrong :-). Crimson is 200K
(185K packed),  Xerces 2 is 1.6MB (500K packed) + XML Apis 120K (30K packed)

My arguments to change it would be:
- Xerces provides more features (XML Schema) for people using XML heavily,
this is a plus.
- It interfaces with Xalan which seems to be the most used xsl processor (
- XML apis are decoupled making things crystal clear about DOM/SAX/JAXP
versions.
- Crimson roadmap is 'the future plan is to move to a different codebase
called Xerces Java 2' :)
- Ant tests are run with Xerces 2 and XML APIs with GUMP
- The future is now :)

I tested with the Ant 1.4.1 release and the zip size switching from
crimson/jaxp to xerces2/xmlapis jumps from 2.7MB to 3.07MB so distribution
size is merely not an issue, this is a reasonable 10% increase.