ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/filters BaseFilterReader.java
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:54:15 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Skeet" <jon.skeet@peramon.com>

> I thought that would probably be the case. What about
> being broken on Macs (which use '\r') though?

Hmm... Guess we need to revisit it then sometime.  I
don't think we will be able to before te beta at least.

> Right. That's what I thought was probably going
> on after getting a bit further - the introspected
> helpers are only used to create *real* filters.
>
> I personally don't like the encapsulation of this:
> they're acting as factories, really - there's no reason
> why the factory class should be the same one as the
> reader, and by forcing them to be the same we end up
> with this dummy constructor.

Well, the 'factory' uses the very same setters
and adders that the actual class is using - so
why would you need two very similar classes?
Moreover, the factory in this case would produce just
one class - not more than one - as a factory object
would typically be used...  But anyway, if you feel
refactoring is needed here, +1.

> I'm not suggesting refactoring it for 1.5, but
> maybe for Ant2 it would be worth doing.

Sure.

> > Hope this clarifies the code better.  The ctor in the
> > abstract base class needs to stay...
>
> Agreed. It should be documented though - I'll try to work something out,
> unless you want to?

Sorry, Jon.  I am a bit tied up currently.  But, doc changes
may be made after the beta too - so if you don't beat me to it,
I will try to document it better in the next couple of weeks.

> Jon

Cheers,
Magesh

*  Criminal: A guy no different from the rest  *
*  ...except that he got caught.               *