ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Environment variables in different JDKs??
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2002 03:19:54 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nigel Magnay" <Nigel.Magnay@Parsec.co.uk>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 03:21
Subject: Environment variables in different JDKs??

> I've just come a cropper running one of the VSS tasks when I changed
> my JDK to a 1.3 version. Suddenly it couldn't find the environment
> variables required to execute SS.EXE that it could before.
>
> Digging a bit into the Execute task, I noticed it's way more complex
> than I thought it would be, with all kinds of JDK dependent stuff.
>
> Is this just a fact of Java life?

Its a running sore between sun and the java community...there was a long
standing RFE on the java bugbase to add environment variable access to java;
even though it was in the top 5 voted items it got marked down as WONTFIX.

I understand their argument 'some systems wont have env variables', but dont
understand why a getenv call doesnt just return an empty list at that
point...

-steve