ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Rodney Aiglstorfer" <rod...@aiglstorfer.com>
Subject ANT needs an 'import' task
Date Sun, 14 Apr 2002 01:19:05 GMT
Complex build systems can get quite large and I have not been successful
in finding an easy method of modularizing.  Existing tasks such as 'ant'
load and execute a target during runtime (i.e. after the parent
buildfile has been parsed by the ProjectHelper).  In most cases this is
not sufficient . consider the following examples

Example. build.xml

<project name="main">

    .

</project>

Example. build-mod.xml

<project name="sub">

    <target name="sub-target"/>

</project>

If ant is invoked on build.xml, there is no way (using the 'ant' task)
to specify a target in the second build file 'buildmod.xml'.

IMHO, what is needed is a top-level 'import' tasks that can be used as
such:

<project .>

    <import buildfile="another-build-file.xml"/>

    .

</project>

or alternatively, add an option to the Main class that would indicate a
list of build files to pre-parse/merge before executing.

Is there any work being done one this?  I've a pretty good
implementation of the 'import' property and a hacked version of the
ProjectHelper class . any takers?

- Rodney