ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Order of attributes versus elements
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 15:51:31 GMT
On Fri, 01 Mar 2002, Conor MacNeill <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
wrote:

> The build in question, jakarta-avalon-excalibur, assumes that nested
> Elements are created/configured before attributes are set.

This is what the "Developing with Ant" document says as well, see
points 6 and 7 in the "Life cycle" list.

> I'd appreciate opinions on whether this is something Ant should
> guarantee.

Right now it does give that guarantee, I'm not sure whether it should
do.  What Ant should do is exactly define the order by which children
are created and attributes being set - and then stick to it.

So, I think Ant should give guarantee some behavior, which order is to
be preferred may be open for discussion in the Ant2 context, but not
really for Ant1.

Do you think the order is wrong?

> Actually my expectation was that Ant1 would also set attributes
> first but the RuntimeConfigurable comes into play. Interestingly
> attribute setting is deferred to runtime but nested element creation
> is not.

For the same reasons as task instantiation is not deferred - make the
id available for others.

> Anyway, I'd appreciate some thoughts on whether there should be a
> defined order of attribute setting versus element creation.

Yes.

> Should this be specified in Ant1?

It already is IMHO.

> How about Ant2?