ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Name collisions
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2002 08:04:01 GMT
On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
wrote:

[basing roles on the things to add not the interfaces of containers]

> Which is backward incompatible with ANT1.x due to Tasks and
> data-types and TaskContainer signatures.

True - but only if you insist on making TaskContainer work with the
concept of roles instead of keeping it as an old, to become obsolete
solution for a particular problem.  I'm willing to keep it as old
cruft (and drop it from Ant2 except in an Ant1 compatibility layer).

> Can you explain how to have general roles in ANT1.x,
> your way without filling the code with special cases
> for backward compatibility?

Honestly, no, as TaskContainer would remain as a special case.

> My only point is that in certain cases you can warn te user much
> earlier (at the moment where the declaration happens) and not wait
> until the usage.

If you can do that (which is not possible in general but in the case
of name collisions for tasks/data-types).  I completely agree with
you.

>  --- Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote: > On
>
>> I want to wait how Costin is going to address this - I'm sure he'll
>> do - in the TaskFactory proposal he's working on.
>>

> Well, my proposal also has factories.

I know.

> But if the answer is, "whatever Costin will do is good and anything
> else is bad" well I guess I should just forget about asking and just
> pick a solution myself.

If this is the way you've read my statement, I must have been doing
something wrong.

Of course I could put in quick collision checks in Project, but both
your factories and Costin's factories are going to address this, at
least I think so.  It is pretty likely that we'll decide how to
address this by comparing your approach and Costin's (they may even be
the same) and do something about it - after that the quick check would
be obsolete.

"I don't want to touch this now" was talking about the main source
tree, in no way would I want to restrict what you or anybody else is
doing in the proposal area.

Hope I've made myself easier to understand this time

Stefan