ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Name collisions
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2002 11:21:07 GMT
On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> As far as I can see in the current ANT1 code, there seems to be no
> provisions on what happens if I define a task and a datatype using
> the same name. The definer tasks do not check across different
> namespaces.

This is true.

> To make clear what is the situation I am referring to let me
> formalize it:
>
>     - Given two roles, A & B, triggered by the same container
>     interface (e.g., task and data-type) and given that a particular
>     element name, N, is registered in role A, what should be the
>     correct behaviour when one attempts to register N in B.

I'm not sure what triggered by the same container interface means
here.

In the case of tasks and data-type we only have a disambiguity because
both can be defined within the same container elements (target for
example), is this the "triggered by the same container interface" you
are talking about?

If you want to generalize this to arbitrary roles, you cannot do
anything at all, as you cannot know whether there is a context in
which roles A and B both can be used at the same time, at least not at
the point where things get registered.  Or can you?

Stefan