ant-dev mailing list archives

From stephan beal <step...@wanderinghorse.net>
Subject Re: PATCH: cvs <commandline> implementation
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:14:47 GMT
On Monday 25 March 2002 10:09 am, Diane Holt wrote:
> --- stephan beal <stephan@wanderinghorse.net> wrote:
> > Just as there's nothing to indicate that <target if='foo'> depends on
> > 'if'  having ANY value (as opposed to boolean true)...
>
> On the contrary, I think it says exactly what it does: If the property
> named 'foo' exists (ie., if(foo), ie., if 'foo' is set, which is the only

i'll just put it this way: i've been programming since i was 12 years old,
and i found it confusing. i had to refer to the manual to figure out why
if="${some_false_value}" was passing.

> But it's not the "Exactly the same". To be the same, it'd have to be:
>   <cvs>
>   up -r 1.1 build.xml
>   <cvs/>
>   <cvs>
>   status foo.txt
>   <cvs/>
> With yours:
>   <cvs>
>   up -r 1.1 build.xml
>   status foo.txt
>   <cvs/>
> it's a hidden for-loop.

True enough. But since cvs has no "shell mode" (can't read in lines of
commands from stdin "natively", for example), the implicite foreach should be
relatively obvious to anyone familiar with cvs commands (and that would
include almost anyone working with ant, i would hazard to guess).

> > In any case, _my_ copy of the tree will have this feature, because _i_
> > use it  :).
>
> I just knew you were going to say that.

LOL!

----- stephan
Generic Unix Computer Guy
stephan@einsurance.de - http://www.einsurance.de
Office: +49 (89)  552 92 862 Handy:  +49 (179) 211 97 67
"...control is a degree of inhibition, and a system which is perfectly
inhibited is completely frozen." -- Alan W. Watts