ant-dev mailing list archives

From stephan beal <step...@wanderinghorse.net>
Subject Re: PATCH: cvs <commandline> implementation
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:24:38 GMT
On Monday 25 March 2002 09:10 am, Diane Holt wrote:
> As I've said before, I think this format is really out-of-character for
> Ant -- and if I came across it in a build file, I'd think it was a
> mistake, since there's nothing to indicate what it's even doing.

Just as there's nothing to indicate that <target if='foo'> depends on 'if'
having ANY value (as opposed to boolean true)... Unless You Read The Docs.
We can't expect any given feature to be truly intuitive (though i find
cdata-as-commands as intuitive as <echo>this is an echo</echo>, which is
technically Exactly the same construct as <cvs>up -r 1.1 build.xml</cvs>).

> I realize you've already taken the time to write a bunch of code to deal
> with this, but I'm sure we've all at some point or other written code that

In any case, _my_ copy of the tree will have this feature, because _i_ use it
:).

(Erik, this is a great example of why i prefer to subclass - otherwise i'd
have to patch the tree every time i updated ant, and that would be no fun.)

----- stephan
Generic Unix Computer Guy
stephan@einsurance.de - http://www.einsurance.de
Office: +49 (89)  552 92 862 Handy:  +49 (179) 211 97 67
"...control is a degree of inhibition, and a system which is perfectly
inhibited is completely frozen." -- Alan W. Watts