ant-dev mailing list archives

From stephan beal <step...@wanderinghorse.net>
Subject Re: PATCH: AbstractCvsTask
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:43:34 GMT
On Friday 22 March 2002 13:05 pm, stephan beal wrote:
> And idea for an extension on this would be multiple types of nested
> elements: <cvs>
> <diff revision="1.3" file="...."/>
> <update revision="3.4" files="...."/>
> <!--
> though a fileset would be more proper, it would be
> Bad to have a revision of other than HEAD with multiple files in an update.
> In diff it'd be okay, though.
> -->
> </cvs>

That's a lie: the same problem with multiple files and 'update' also apply to
'diff'. It would be bad to pass multiple files to it except in the context of
diffing aginst the HEAD, since those files almost certainly don't have the
same revision number:
  diff -u -r 1.4 one.java two.java three.java
would be a bad idea. But this would be valid:
  diff -u -r HEAD one.java two.java three.java
  diff -u one.java two.java three.java

Since this object should NOT turn into a cvs command line parser/validator,
it would be best to leave support for multiple files (via <fileset>) out of
this context, IMO.

----- stephan
Generic Universal Computer Guy
stephan@einsurance.de - http://www.einsurance.de
Office: +49 (89)  552 92 862 Handy:  +49 (179) 211 97 67
Student: "Master, you must teach me the way of liberation!"
Master:  "Tell me who it is that binds you."
Student: "No one binds me!"
Master:  "Then why do you seek liberation?"