ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: ProjectComponentHelper and adapters
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2002 01:32:20 GMT
On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

> > This could be done (by returning a smart replacement for Hashtable in
> > project.getReferences in the first place) and you'd still have to
> > resolve all references when you encounter a script task, but it would
> > probably work.
>
> I agree.

That sounds like a good solution. Maybe combined with deprecating
the getReferences() method, and keeping the 'smart' Hashtable only
for backward compatibility.

> > As far as I can tell, the only reason to have task instances created
> > at parser time are references.  If nobody else can come up with a
> > different reason and we can address this issue, we have consensus, no?

> If we can get rid of the bookeeping to invalidate tasks, that would be fantastic.

+1

getReferences() seems like the biggest problem, and seems solvable.

> That would mean that once a task in a target is resolved to a particular definition,
> that definition stays in place. Since in regular ANT each target is evaluated only once,

I see nothing wrong with keeping the invalidation logic ( or maybe I don't
understand all the issues here ). Removing it may not be backward
compatible, so I'm at least -0. ( the invalidate() is not public, but
the behavior should be preserved )

Costin