ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: <jspc> work in progress
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 16:33:57 GMT
On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Steve Loughran wrote:

> I am debating whether to write a <JspToJavaMapper> which maps from .jsp
> names to java filenames properly as part of the solution, but first I will
> enable a webapp attr and let jasper do its thing instead, while I stare at
> the Jasper code and decide what to do about bringing a fraction of it in to
> ant [tab to space and bracketing conditions properly would be the first
> steps]

That would be interesting. Feel free to do more :-)

Modularizing jasper's mangling, using ant's <javac> to compile the
generated java - all those are badly needed but nobody has the time.

> Costin, you have commit rights to jasper eh? why doesn't CommandLineCompiler
> on Tomcat 4.03 have assert on its lists of keywords to mangle? Seems to me
> that you should be able to have a file called assert.jsp on a 1.4 system
> right now.

Send a patch :-)

I did a bit of refactoring in 3.3's JspInterceptor, but most of it
is not implemented in 4.0.
My current focus is on the connector, but if you have the time to
play with jasper I would be happy to help.

Spliting jasper in 3-4 ant tasks would be an excelent solution:
- a mangler, cleanly separated ( and maybe customizable to
support more than .jsp files, there are other things that generate
java from a file ).

- <javac> for compilation

- the code generator, with simpler customization.

- a interceptor/servlet that plugs in ant programatically and calls
the tasks. It may even use ant's dependency checking.

Costin