ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Tasks, DataTypes and Factories
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 17:57:29 GMT
On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

> The only problem with what you are proposing is that
> data-types do not need to extend DataType and hence
> they are not necessarily ProjectConponents.

Tasks do no need to extend Task class either.
( almost none of the tasks I wrote outside ant
extend Task ).

That's what TaskAdapter is supposed to do.

> This was the first thing I had to work around when
> looking at the use of Roles for data-types.

And what I'm proposing is to have a consistent way to
 deal with task and datatype creation _and_ adaptation
of external components ( not implementing ant
interfaces ).

A ProjectComponentHelper can create either a real
ProjectComponent ( Task, DataType, etc ) or a wrapper
( ProjectComponentAdapter ).

Same rules that apply for TaskAdapter whould work for
data types as well - less confusing for the task/type
developers, simpler ( and easier to maintain ) ant.

Costin