ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/proposal/sandbox/embed ProjectHelperImpl.java
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 00:55:54 GMT
On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Peter Donald wrote:

> > What happens at compile time to support inner classes is very tricky and
> > unexpected ( by most people ). The compiler removes 'private' and adds
> > parameters to methods  - the first one does have security implications
> > ( not an issue for ant ). I think it is far better to avoid the magic and
> > pass the parameters explicitely - and as a benefit the code will compile
> > and work with more compilers.
>
> Yep. I generally have have a no-innerclasses policy unless they are static
> and don't access any variables from parent class. Too many things that people
> don't understand - I think your only the 4th person who has ever struck me as
> knowing how inner classes really behave (and 2 of the others were JVM
> implementors).

Well, thanks - but I never claimed I _understand_ how inner classes
work :-) ( or why they were designed this way, or why people are using
them ).

I assume jikes and gcj developers are in the same situation, not
understanding very well how this is supposed to work ( since both still
have problems dealing with them :-). That's why it's better to avoid
non static inner classes.

Costin