ant-dev mailing list archives

From <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/proposal/sandbox/embed
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2002 23:11:29 GMT
On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Peter Donald wrote:

> >   I manually did what the compiler would do - now it should work
> >   with any compiler.
> >
> >   ( the runtime exception was a "Verifier error, expecting object/array on
> > stack" )
> Jikes1.15 is completely and utterly busted. I would highly recomend you don't
> use it as your "reference" compiler.

I had similar problems with gcj. I know jikes1.15 has problems, and I
assume other compilers will likely be tricked by inner classes.

What happens at compile time to support inner classes is very tricky and
unexpected ( by most people ). The compiler removes 'private' and adds
parameters to methods  - the first one does have security implications
( not an issue for ant ). I think it is far better to avoid the magic and
pass the parameters explicitely - and as a benefit the code will compile
and work with more compilers.

Of course, I can revert the change if you think it's a bad idea.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message