ant-dev mailing list archives

Subject RE: jspc and magic compiler attribute
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 15:06:14 GMT
I use jsp.compiler (for my JRunC implementation) - but don't care
whether it's magic or not. I should probably submit my version for your
perusal  It's got a few hacks, for JRun, and also detects if any
@include'd files have changed for dependency checking, though
definately in a non-standard way..

-----Original Message-----
From: jakarta-ant
Sent: 07 March 2002 12:57
To: ant-dev
Cc: jakarta-ant
Subject: Re: jspc and magic compiler attribute

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <>

> > on all <jspc> tasks.  Define jspc.compiler as jasper
> > in the build file
> > and override it with -Djspc.compiler=jrun on the
> > command line.
> That is fine, but since the name of the property is
> left to the buildfile writer, for every file I will
> need to go and look and understand the file and then
> set my environment appropriatelly for that buildfile.

Sheesh!  You sure do know how to make a mountain out of a mole hill!  :)

> The advantage I see with magic properties is
> consistency we just need to set which javac to use one
> in our defaults and it will be used by all our
> buildfiles everywere. I think that is really nice.

Yeah, but how do you set debug="..."?  No magic property for that - sure
would be nice though, huh?  All of this "preference" kinda thing is on
slate (or should be?) for Ant2, right?  We should somehow be able to
set up
how we want <javac> to act by default and not need to specify things
and over.

> I also think we should provide the attribute, even for
> <javac> for those cases in which a buildfile writer
> wants tighter control of the build.

Uh, have you looked at the latest codebase?  Its there.

> But in general, generic "magic" properties should not
> need to be a bad thing, but we have never formalize
> then and document them properly, IMHO.

No doubt that they are not formalized or documented well. (patches

I'm on the fence about magic properties and whether they are good or
But I would say we shouldn't add new ones until we formalize it more or

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

Visit our website at

related financial instruments.