ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <Ste...@ignitesports.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSE] task parameters that are only supplied when a property is defined
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2002 14:27:40 GMT
Bill -

Uh, you're right, and I am embarrassed to say that I am the author of the <stcheckout>
task and I did not even remember my own code.  I didn't think you were and looked at the code
to disprove your suggestion but found you were correct.

So I could get the behavior I want by defining in the buildxml blank properties for every
label I may want to define, and then via -D or a properties file I could optionally define
those properties with a real label.

That would work and it would not be too ugly.  It will be my interim solution.

However, I still agree with you that something like the Quiet Notation you describe would
be an even better way to handle this.  To reiterate the point,
Costin listed five different ways of handling the case of an undefined property in a task
attribute:

 1) throw exception
 2) replace it with ""
 3) leave it unchanged ( current solution )
 4) don't set the property at all ( similar with what this proposal)
 5) insert 'null' - the original implementation ( in whatever version
 we had in 99 :-)

The point is that none of these will be correct in all use cases, but since a default must
be chosen (#3 in this case),  then there should be syntactical ways for the build-script writer
to indicate each of the other four behaviors as the way to handle a missing property, on a
per-use basis.

I would like a solution like this because it gives the most freedom to the build-script writer
while making it explicit from the script itself what is going on.

I am less enamoured of solutions implemented in the java code or plug-ins because they are
further from the build script writer.  Yes, we developers can look at the source code, but
Ant has a wider audience than java programmers.  Even though I can look at and even change
the java code of a task, when I am diddling with a script, that isn't something I want to
do.  If I as the author of a task can't remember how it works, what chance does the mere user
have?  I'd much rather be able to implement what I want via the script.

Steve