ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Murdoch" <adammurdoch...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: TaskAdapter and execute()
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2002 06:11:11 GMT

This is probably as good a reason as any to change back.  Ant 1's pattern works quite nicely.
 As you say, the benefits of moving away from it are probably not worth the effort.

And its a better match to what mutant does too, which can't be a bad thing.

So who's going to do the work to change everything? :)

> > I think meta-info is the answer here.
>
> I don't - meta-info is a workaround for something that isn't clear enough.

Yes, exactly.  Adder/setter methods are only so expressive, and we've gotten to the point
where we're straining that expressiveness.  Even this 'what does setX() and addX() mean?'
question is an example.  There's a bunch of equally valid patterns we could apply, but we
can only choose one.  Whichever we choose is going to be the wrong one.  This is where meta-info
will help.  We choose a pattern, and if it's the wrong one for a particular type, then the
type writer can use the meta-info to tell us.

BTW, by 'meta-info', I mean @ant tags and stuff in XML descriptors.  Not code (though code
*should* be an option, ultimately).  So low effort kinda stuff from the task writer's POV.

> > We've gotten to the point where we
> > have to guess the task writer's intention.  Let's give 'em a
> way to make it
> > explicit.  So, how about we leave things how they are for now, and get a
> > basic meta-info framework happening, then sort the mapping out.
>  We could
> > even go as far as letting the task writer specify which style of method
> > mapping to use.
>
> I have already started a info descriptor system. Will commit it sometime
> soonish when I start testing it out ;)

Check it in.  Doesn't have to work; it will soon enough.

Adam