ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jon Skeet" <jon.sk...@peramon.com>
Subject RE: Backwards incompatible change to Javac
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:37:40 GMT
> We cannot simply add
>
>     public void setFork(boolean b) {
>         setFork(""+b);
>     }

Small point: I hope we wouldn't add that anyway. That method of string conversion is evil
(IMO). See http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/java/stringconv.html

> as IntrospectionHelper then will chose this method over the one taking
> a String argument - which means fork="/my/path/to/javac" would become
> the same as fork="false".  Not good.
>
> The only solution I can see:  change fork back to boolean and add a
> new attribute for the forked executable.  This again is backwards
> incompatible to the change I've made more then four months ago and
> people may have started to depend on it.

How many things depend on the order in which the IntrospectionHelper picks things? My guess
is "quite a few, and we don't know how many private Ant classes do anyway" :(

Other than that... not sure :(

Jon