ant-dev mailing list archives

From j...@mac.com
Subject Exporting a Project Instance
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:28:52 GMT
Hi,

I have used Ant tasks directly in projects to avoid having to re
implement the functionality those tasks provide.

I would like to be able to export the Project I have created as XML i.e.
create a build.xml file.  I have done some investigation into doing this
but looking at the current code base I don't think it is possible.

I have identified two approaches to achieve this.  One is to get all
tasks to implement a toXML method.  These methods would return an XML
String representing that task instance.  This obviously requires a lot
of code changes.

The second approach is to use the reflection API to interogate the
Project and generate the build file from this.  For this approach to
work it is necessary to have getters defined for each member.

I would implement the changes necessary to achieve the above if I know
that the changes will be added to the ant distribution.

Does anyone have any comments on the above, i.e. which approach is
better, and should I go and implement this?

Cheers,
-John K