ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Burton" <bi...@progress.com>
Subject Re: XDocs Proposal: sample HTML output!
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 20:51:00 GMT
Hi Erik,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com>
Date: Friday, March 1, 2002 6:52 am
Subject: Re: XDocs Proposal: sample HTML output!

> I've applied your patches - many thanks!  I'm glad this "little"
> proposal is being seen, used, and patched by others.

Thanks!

Just a few thoughts below ...

> What we need is similar XML generation for the datatypes out there
> as well as any classes used as nested elements by tasks.  I know
> nothing of DVSL or how easy it would be to incorporate that kind
> of info if you had another XML file describing those paramters.

Pretty easy.  Similar to Anakia, a one line call can pull in some other
XML file.  The original stylesheet I started with did this to load
project.xml which defined the navigation menus on the right side.

> And I have a feeling it won't be trivialwork at the XDoclet/tags
> handler/subtask level to dynamically figure out what the nested
> elements are and the process those - but that seems where we
> need to go with it.

Yes.  If there's not any easy way to do it, then maybe classes defining
nested elements will need to be tagged something like, @ant:element ...

> Then we have sub-elements of sub-elements,
> and so
> on......

I wouldn't worry about the nesting for now.  Just generate all
<element>'s at the same level.  The doc comments will likely already
desribe the nesting.

> For global datatypes that are nested elements, I don't think we
> need (or want) to display the parameters for them, just hyperlink
> to their own documentation.

Yes. I don't see this as a problem.  Eventually, if there's some way
these could be identified in the XML, this could be used to pull in some
canned doc from the appropriate datatype XML as you describe above.

> Again, thanks for your work on this - its coming together nicely.
>
>    Erik

You're welcome.

-Bill