ant-dev mailing list archives

From j...@mac.com
Subject Re: Exporting a Project Instance
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:08:33 GMT
> A task does not necessarily have to persist values that are set via the
> setters into internal matching member variables, so I'm pretty sure
> that an
> XML serialization of an instantiated task cannot reliably give you back
> the
> state that was used to construct it.  Thats just the nature of Ant 1.x.
> Maybe what Jose Alberto mentioned about UnknownElement would work for
> Ant
> 1.x - I don't know.
>
> Perhaps this is different in Ant2 though.
That is the crux of the problem I face.  I don't see any reason not to
provide the required accessors.  I know that simple values like the
message attribute of Echo differ from say a classpath setting, but it
should be possible to provide a getClasspath method that returns the
Path.

> I'm guessing the reason for only making an execute method required was
> so
> that someone could turn an existing class into an Ant task very easily
> without having to implement an interface (although this should have
> been the
> way it was done, IMO) or break the inheritance hierarchy with by
> subclassing.  It allows a task to have zero dependency on Ant's classes,
> which is a nice thing though.
I agree, providing accessors will not impact the dependency rules
either.  I don't know much about the plans for Ant2, do people think
this would be a nice feature to have in that release or is there no
place for such functionality in Ant?

-John K