ant-dev mailing list archives

From dIon Gillard <d...@multitask.com.au>
Subject Re: [PROPOSE] More candidates for Ant 1.5...
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2002 23:54:10 GMT
Craeg K. Strong wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have not been monitoring ant-dev as closely these days,
> so please let me know if any of this is redundant.   In any event, I
> believe the
> following would be some really nice additions for a 1.5 release:
>
> 1) First off, is it true that there is already a general entity resolver
> capability in ant?   I saw mention of an XCatalog datatype.  That is a
> good
> start -- perhaps we could add the capability to point to a file in
> addition
> to nested elements, the same way properties can be specified in line
> or via a file.

I submitted the xcatalog stuff over the weekend. The list of ids in a
file is not a bad idea, but not something I desperately need...feel free
to submit a patch, though :)

> 2) URIResolver for <style> task.  This would allow for things like
> resolving
> URNs in XML documents.  This is incredibly useful for doing content
> management,
> where you have lots of little document fragments that refer to each
> other.  By using
> URNs, you can avoid hardcoding URLs that might change.  I am not sure
> whether this is best done as an optional extension to the <style> task
> or as a datatype
> like XCatalog above.  Are there other tasks that could use this
> capability?

I tested XCatalog against docbooks's DTD, since it uses a whole heap of
relative entities in it's DTD.

This works well. What happens is you specify the URL in a single place,
and use relative processing to handle them.

What sort of situation would need something other than entity resolution
like this? Give me an example, and I'll see if the XCatalog stuff will help.

Other tasks that could/need to be retrofitted with XCatalog are ejbjar
and XMLValidate.

> [snip]

> Thanks in advance,
>
> --Craeg