ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Order of attributes versus elements
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2002 10:05:01 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 22:43, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>
>>Anyway, I'd appreciate some thoughts on whether there should be a
>>defined order of attribute setting versus element creation.
>>

> I would say create attributes first and then elements - that is how it works
> intuitively for me.

I'd agree that seems "natural" to me. Actually I am happy to explicitly
have it "undefined". Anyway, that is obviously not the expectation of
the author of this buildfile, nor is it the documented lifecycle of an
Ant task according to the manual.

>>Should this
>>be specified in Ant1? How about Ant2? Alternatively, should it be left
>>undefined? In that case Build files which rely on any particular order
>>would be considered defective even if they happened to work
>>
>>Anyway, IMHO, I think this buildfile is broken.
>>

> I wouldn't say that. I would say the task is broken. BTW I think you will
> find that sort of construct in a few places (myrmidons build file for one and
> it also used to be in ants build file).

The construct is not broken and neither is the task. I'm happy to have
<src> elements and srcDir attributes at the same time. What is broken is
having two Java files for one class in the set of paths given to javac
and expecting one of those paths to take precedence. The use of
<exclude> elements is an indicator that this is a bit of a hack.

Conor