ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [myrmidon] Move framework outta myrmidon?
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2002 03:30:13 GMT
On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:11, Adam Murdoch wrote:
> [...]

doh!
:)

> Make sure you give us some warning before you move 'em, as I almost always
> have a bunch of changes in there that need to be checked-in.

will do. Wont be for a bit yet.

> We should do something with DataType, while we're moving stuff around.
> It's the only class in framework which is being used by the container.  It
> might be better off in myrmidon.api.  Another option is to do away with it
> altogether (my preferred option).

hmmm. I didn't notice that. Was this something you added? In theory it could
completely be removed because I can't see how you would want to use it as
DataTypes are not likely to match the role unless they were registered under
role in which case the next bit of code will never get executed.

 // Use the generic 'data-type' role.
        final TypeFactory factory = m_typeManager.getFactory( DataType.ROLE );
        if( !factory.canCreate( name ) )
        {
            throw new NoSuchPropertyException();
        }
        return factory.create( name );

So can't we just delete that code ?

> Another option for the framework classes would be to move them into
> antlibs, and drop the 'can't share classes' restriction.  We are going to
> have to deal with the issue of sharing classes at some stage, because the
> current solution isn't particularly workable.

May be quick and easy but ... isn't that the path to the darkside ? ;)

It encourages too much bad programming practices IMHO so I really don't want
to do it.

--
Cheers,

Pete

"The perfect way is only difficult for those who pick and choose.  Do not
like, do not dislike; all will then be clear.  Make a hairbreadth
difference and heaven and earth are set apart; if you want the truth to
stand clear before you, never be for or against." - Bruce Lee