ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: PATCH: cvs <commandline> implementation
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:56:56 GMT
--- stephan beal <stephan@wanderinghorse.net> wrote:
> i'll just put it this way: i've been programming since i was 12 years
> old, and i found it confusing.

Well, not knowing how old you are now... (not asking, just making a point
:)

> i had to refer to the manual to figure out why if="${some_false_value}"
> was passing.

But an old shell-hacker like you should be completely familiar with:
[ $FOO ] && echo "FOO is set to any old thing, including false"

> > it's a hidden for-loop.
>
> True enough. But since cvs has no "shell mode" (can't read in lines of
> commands from stdin "natively", for example), the implicite foreach
> should be relatively obvious to anyone familiar with cvs commands

Imagine for a moment that you didn't implement this functionality, but
have only inherited a build file with that construct, and you're new to
Ant and CVS, then tell me you'd be able to intuit it represents an
implicit foreach.

< (and that would include almost anyone working with ant, i would hazard
> to guess).

But that guess would most likely be wrong. Take a look at all the optional
SCM tasks, and you'll get an idea of how many different systems are in use
out there.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)