ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: PATCH: cvs <commandline> implementation
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:09:25 GMT
--- stephan beal <stephan@wanderinghorse.net> wrote:
> Just as there's nothing to indicate that <target if='foo'> depends on
> 'if'  having ANY value (as opposed to boolean true)...

On the contrary, I think it says exactly what it does: If the property
named 'foo' exists (ie., if(foo), ie., if 'foo' is set, which is the only
way a property can exist). If it were if='${foo}' and didn't care about
the value being true/false, then it might be confusing, but the value
never comes into it, since the property isn't referenced that way, so I
think it's perfectly understandable without ever even knowing there -is-
any documentation, much less having to read it.

> We can't expect any given feature to be truly intuitive (though i find
> cdata-as-commands as intuitive as <echo>this is an echo</echo>, which
> is technically Exactly the same construct as <cvs>up -r 1.1
> build.xml</cvs>).

But it's not the "Exactly the same". To be the same, it'd have to be:
  <cvs>
  up -r 1.1 build.xml
  <cvs/>
  <cvs>
  status foo.txt
  <cvs/>
With yours:
  <cvs>
  up -r 1.1 build.xml
  status foo.txt
  <cvs/>
it's a hidden for-loop.

> In any case, _my_ copy of the tree will have this feature, because _i_
> use it  :).

I just knew you were going to say that.

Diane

=====